Monday, August 12, 2013

Felt Gnome Finger Puppets Tutorial


To make these gnome finger puppets, gather the following supplies:  needle and thread (red, brown, blue), scissors, glue, felt (red, blue, yellow, white) and some small white rick rack (not pictured).


Ladies first.


To make a little lady gnome, print out the pattern below. Prep by cutting out all your pieces out of the appropriate color felt.


To one side of the gnome body (which will be the front), glue the top of the apron in the middle of the gnome body.  Glue rick rack over the top of the apron.


Grab the other body piece and place it behind the front piece, tucking the sides of the rick rack in between. Hand sew the sides closed, doing a simple running stitch, leaving the bottom open.


For the face, glue the nose into place.  Embroider eyes and mouth details, or cut pieces out of felt and glue into place.

To complete the gnome-ette, glue face to the back of the gnome hat.  Glue the hair into place.  Around the perimeter of the face, apply glue, attach the front of the gnome hat to the face.  Using a needle and red thread (or glue) secure the front and back of the gnome hat to each other and sew (or glue) the base of the hat to the body of the gnome.


Ta da...


What does every lady gnome need?  A gentleman gnome, of course.


To make the boy gnome, print out the pattern below. Prep by cutting out all your pieces out of the appropriate color thread.


Just as above, sew the body together leaving the bottom open.  Glue the nose, beard and mustache onto the gnome face.  Embroider eyes and lips (or cut pieces out of felt) to add to the face.  Either sew or glue the front of the hat over the top of the gnome face and secure the back of the hat into place as well.  Again, either by sewing or gluing, attach the head to the body of the gnome.


And, now your lady gnome has a friend.


Want to take these gnomes on the road?  Make a portable gnome home.


If you liked this tutorial, be sure to check out how to make a finger puppet stand and/or how to make felt Ninja finger puppets as well.


Or maybe you just like these felt creations, the Pottery Barn inspired Advent Calendar I made has some detailed patterns for 25 days of advent pockets.


Originally shared at 'Or so she says...'

Linked to:

Mellywoods Mansion

{T} *From Dream to Reality Link Party ** Thursday Linky Party at Osie Moats * Be Inspired by Elizabeth and Co.   * Tutorials and Tips on Home Stories A 2 Z   * I gotta try that   * Off The Hook Link Party  * The Winthrop Chronicles  * Open Call Tuesdays on Salt Tree * Adventures of a DIY MOM * Take a look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts * Blackberry Vine Tuesday To Do Party Coastal Charm * My Uncommon Slice Of Suburbia  * Tip Junkie   

{W}*Riverton Housewives Round Up  *Adorned from Above *Well Crafted Wednesdays *What I Whipped Up Wednesdays * Homemade by You Wednesday * Whimsy Wednesdays * The Fun In Functional * What I learned Wednesday * Someday crafts 

{TH} A Glimpse Inside  *  The Crafty Blogstalker * Made In a Day A Little Knick Knack * House of Hepworth's  * 52 Mantels *
 

29 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these are so cute! I love the gnome-ette name. That finger puppet stand is such a great idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I have a huge sore spot for good looking gnome men :) Grace is such a lucky girl to have such cute puppets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love these little gnomes. think her fringe of bangs is just the perfect touch! I love sewing with felt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun! And the details are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gnomes! And the fact that these are portable gnomes is even better...those cement ones can be hard to lug around, heehee. So cute, thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are just the most adorable little puppets, LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that you linked up these little gnomes, thank you

      Delete
  7. Oh these are my favorites so far! How cute! You've reminded me that I've pinned some gnome Christmas ornaments to make...guess I'd better get after that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gnomes, and these are sooo adorable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Love the little gnomes! It melted my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are ADORABLE! I am a little bit of a felt addict. Just started following you. - Jessica (cutesycrafts.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica. I can relate, I have felt addiction as well.

      Delete
  11. So sweet! My girls loved the Gnomeo and Juliet movie - wonder if they would play with these much? They are more into legos at their ages i think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are too cute. Like... so cute that it makes my stomach hurt.

    You know I love gnomes. They're such mischeivous little things. Though, yours look quite mellow. I doubt they'd wreak havoc in your garden (or puppet castle). Such a great tutorial, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are totally adorable! (I love all of your gnome-related projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a word - ADORABLE!!!Thanks so much for sharing great tutorial!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore gnomes, and these just make me smile! Pinned!

    ~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these are just the cutest - LOVE them! You have the best ideas :)

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this adorable craft! I'm sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these! And love the stand idea. My girls and I could have so much fun with these. I would love for you to share it on our kids linky http://wemadethat.blogspot.com/2013/08/we-made-that-linky-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I won't ever make these but I had to pin them because they are so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daughter #2 collects gnomes. Wanna bet she makes some of these for her niece at Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't get over how cute these are - you are so creative! I'd be thrilled if you'd come on over to Pink Recipe Box and link up at Creative Wednesdays: http://pinkrecipebox.com/creative-wednesdays-with-pink-recipe-box-5/

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are the cutest finger puppets I've ever seen - LOVE them!!!
    Visiting from MEL's FIRST PARTY YAY!!!!!!!!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  23. The look like they've come right out of a fairy tale book!! They're adorable and so well made! ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are seriously one of my favorite bloggers EVER! just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just put the biggest smile on my face. Thank you so much.

      Delete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...