Friday, April 6, 2012

Trying to turn a negative into a positive.

A few weeks ago, I proudly shared a post about my personalized tooth fairy pillows. I have been making tooth pillows for friends and family SO when I had someone commission a tooth pillow from me, I felt validated that they really were good.

With a first sale under way, no detail was spared.  This canine tooth was the best one I had made.


Now, this is where I admittedly erred.  Since the purchaser of the pillow was related to someone I know, I shipped it prior to receiving payment.  After several emails, trying to collect payment, with countless promises the check was the in mail, I came to realize she had no intention of paying me.  Lesson learned.

Though I was {and still am} really upset with the outcome of my 'first sale', it motivated me to turn this negative into a positive.

There is an adorable children's boutique in my town, one I have always admired.  I decided to email this shop, sharing pictures of my tooth pillows {since it's plural, would that be teeth pillows?}.  Within hours, I got the sweetest response back from the shop that they want to meet me to 1. see them in person and 2. discuss the possibility of selling them in their store.  Hooray!

Though we can all agree that being stiffed on a homemade personalized gift is not cool, it lead to something that could potentially be very cool.

16 comments:

  1. I can't believe someone stiffed you!! Super cute pillow though and congrats on the boutique possibility! I've wanted to contact this gift shop close to my house about my mugs and wine glasses but I'm scared of getting a no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, that was rude of them!!!!!! Best of luck meeting with the shop owner and establishing a deal. The pillow is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I was really upset that my first sale didn't work out BUT I just confirmed a meeting for the end of the month that I am so excited about.

      Delete
  3. This is totally kewl... do you have an Etsy shop with your Tooth Pillows ? I just love them



    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 "Wow's"....
    wow#1- that pillow is presh
    wow#2- YOU are awesomely talented, YOU GO GIRL!!!
    i just LOVE this, am i too old for a one?! haha!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, you not only made me smile but you made my day. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. lol, yw, u deserve it! u are the material queen! haha ;)

      Delete
  5. I wish I had known about this when my son was much younger...this is so cool. Good luck with the sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! Shame on that person!!! Hope she is reading this post!! Ha! Well you conquered and overcame and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the boutique realizes what beautiful pillows these are and signs you up quick!! Love them - they are soooo cute :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, you are so sweet. Thanks for being so supportive :)

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you, but I am so excited that a store is interested in your pillows. Which by the way are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah. I am really excited to meet with the store!

      Delete
  8. And your pillows are super cool, so I hope the shop owner picks them up, that you maybe develop a super popular etsy shop of your awesome crafts, and that the first recipient feels so badly that she eventually pays you. Some people!

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Jessica. I am so nervous about getting my stuff out there SO I appreciate your support and encouragement!!!

      Delete
  9. Congrats Amy!! That's totally awesome!!! You should also sell them on Etsy! They are super duper cute pillows and I'm sure you will do well:) It does suck what happened to you.. but it's so good that you turned the negative into a positive... something I need to learn from you:) Keep me posted on what happens with the pillows. They do make adorable gifts.. so I would love to order some from you.. don't worry, I won't stiff you:D

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...