Friday, April 27, 2012

A girl walks into a dentist office...

When I get nervous, I try to interject some levity into the situation, mainly to make myself feel better. This was definitely the case when I finally made an appointment to see the dentist. I am embarrassed to admit how long it was since I last went to the dentist. Think of a shocking amount of time to neglect your teeth and triple it and you are probably close.


I am not so sure, dental paperwork is the appropriate outlet for my sense of humor to make an appearance. I filled out all the typical fill in the blanks, with ease. In the general information section, after name, the question was posed, what do you prefer to be called. I wanted to respond, 'Amy. Miss Jackson if you're nasty'.


I am not even sure why that Janet Jackson song popped into my head. The places your mind will wander when filled with mortal dread.

I also thought the request for my car phone number was an interesting one.  I looked around, nervous that I had somehow traveled back in time to the 1980s.


I spotted a mirror in the distance and realized, it couldn't have been the 80s because my bangs weren't curled and teased 8 inches above my head.

Technically, this is the 90s but you still have to admire those bangs
and my American pride.

I also had a moment where I wanted to turn back and run. I contemplated calling my father in law, who is a veterinarian. I've heard countless stories of how he puts dogs under in order to clean their teeth.


In that moment, sitting in the dentist office, this sounded like a very good alternative.

Though, I am sure I would be considered a large breed dog and that's definitely not something I ever want on any medical record of mine.

 So, I bravely headed into the dentist office.

11 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way about the dentist (and the eye doctor). I used be very adamant about the appointments even though I was nervous. But, the last time I went in after waiting far to long I had my first issue ever...a root canal. UGH!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! Every time I go to the dentist I will now picture that dog with the toothbrush in his mouth. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, the only doctor my kids knew, growing up, was the dentist. I love the way my teeth feel right after a cleaning.
    My car has a phone number, but I havent been asked for it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. I have been putting off going for so long, it's beyond humiliating! We have dental insurance too, so I can't even blame that! Thanks for the push to go, if you can walk through your fear I can too! Lol! Thanks for another great, and fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha! I needed to read this post last week when I went to the dentist. He asked me if I was doing okay and I said, "I will be when I get out of here." LOL!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Amy you crack me up!! Great post! For the past three years I've been good at sticking to the 6 month visits.. but I'm terrified at every visit! Since I LOVE candy, I'm always stressed out that my dentist will tell me I have a cavity (or cavities:P) Now every time I do go, I'll be thinking of you rather stressing over cavities..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Just booked a dentists visit for July, seemed like far away enough... Will read your post again before going :-)
    love
    Jutta

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a HUGE fear of the dentist too! But I don't want my kids to have this same fear so I've actually been on the hunt for a fun dentist office in Oakville that they will actually want to go to. As much as I want them to be like me :) I don't want them to have cavities. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it.
    Dentist in Oakville

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. maindental

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. kanada turistvisum

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...