Friday, January 27, 2012

I Heart Fake Food - Felt Apple Tutorial


Gather the following Supplies:
Red, green and brown felt
Fiberfill
Scissors
Needle and thread {green, red and brown}
Sewing machine
Glue

Using the pattern below {copy and paste it into word to enlarge, the apple body is approximately 3 1/2 inches long}.


Cut the apple pieces out of felt.


Starting with two of the four pieces, begin sewing one side together starting a 1/4 of an inch down from the top. Continue until all 4 of your pieces have been sewn together. When all 4 sides are sewn together, you may want to sew across the bottom, to make sure your seams are sewn shut.


Turn the apple right side out.


Generously stuff the apple with fiberfill. No need to worry, I am not running a 'I heart fake food' sweat shop. The assistance I got was short lived.


I rarely change the color of thread on my sewing machine so occasionally you'll notice some exposed seams. Using your needle and thread, you can do a few stitches to close up any exposed seams. This will only take a minute or two at most. While closing up any exposed seams, begin to close in the opening as well {do not close it completely, you need a small opening to insert the stem and leaf}.


To create your stem, tightly roll up the brown rectangle piece of felt you cut. With your needle and brown thread, sew the stem shut. *Optional: with your needle and green thread, embroider veins onto your green leaf.


Insert the stem and green leaf in the opening left in your apple. Using your needle and red thread, sew the opening of your apple completely shut, sewing the stem and leaf in as you go.


I am all about finishing touches, I'd like for the bottom of my apple to look as good as the top. If you feel the same, cut a small circle out of brown felt {the same color you used for the stem}, apply a dab of glue where the seams meet and cover with the brown circle of felt.


Ta da...


How do you like them apples?


If you enjoyed this tutorial and want to see more...simply, click here.



16 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Your little "assistant" is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness thank you sooo much for the tutorials....i have gotten addicted to felt food and I have you bookmarked...i just wish mine can look as clean as yours, but thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, thank you so much for your sweet comments. I am sure your versions look great. I am often my own worst critique. I hope you have some fun making some felt foods :)

      Delete
    2. I am having lots of fun! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. I have you bookmarked. I am obsessed with making felt food for my daughter and I love your tutorials! Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much. I love hearing that people use these tutorials. I've taken a bit of a break from 'I heart fake foods'. One day, though, I'll be back again! I'd love to see some of your creations.

      Delete
  4. You are so talented! Thanks for linking up at my Felt Food Roundup on OneCreativeMommy.com. I hope the roundup will send a lot of traffic your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the pattern!!!! Been looking for it...every piece for play felt food I make for my girl, the more she plays with her kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are using my I heart fake food tutorials. Thanks for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  6. These are wonderful! Thank you for the great tutorial! I just made one for my son and he's very happy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorei, quero fazer todos, muito criativo, parabens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great blog love to read this always. read more love status here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your patterns. I’ve been making felt fruit and vegetables for my granddaughter that teaches kindergarten. She has a “Farmers Market” stand in her classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your felt food tutorials are fabulous. I have spent many happy hours filling my grandchildren’s greengrocers - but it is the apples that bring the most joy. My youngest granddaughter - 15 months - is inseparable from her apples.

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...